To mark Reconciliation Week, Australian sporting teams acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture during their Indigenous rounds.
Culture and Capability
Recognising Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, history and culture is about respect for all Australians.
Supporting culture and making sure Indigenous organisations are capable of delivering quality services to their communities will achieve real results for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
To make this happen, government and communities need to work together to:
- generate support for a referendum on constitutional recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- deliver more cultural projects and activities
- make sure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations are run well
- encourage more organisations to register under the Corporations (Aboriginal Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006.
Strengthening leadership and culture is critical to ensuring sustainability of Indigenous organisations and communities for future generations.
For specific advice about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history and culture, personal ancestry or proof of Aboriginality, contact the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies.
Charmaine Mumbulla, a proud Kaurna and Narungga woman, is this year’s winner of the prestigious National NAIDOC Poster Competition.
Screen Australia and the New Zealand Film Commission (NZFC) are pleased to announce the eight Indigenous teams from Australia and New Zealand who will work on a joint anthology feature, Cook 2020: Our Right of Reply, entitled Ngā Pouwhenua in New Zealand.
Many different organisations and government agencies are working with communities to achieve real results in culture and capability. Visit the websites below to find out more:
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Healing Foundation
- Arts training bodies
- Attorney General’s Department
- Australia Council for the Arts
- Australian Indigenous Leadership Centre
- National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples
- Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations
- Reconciliation Australia
- Screen Australia
- The National Centre of Indigenous Excellence