The award winning film Ngambi, which has its television premiere on NITV, follows Roy Wuyŋumbi Ashley as he shares an all-encompassing story of Wagilak identity, culture and law.
Culture and Capability
Recognising Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, history and culture is about respect for all Australians.
Supporting culture and making sure Indigenous organisations are capable of delivering quality services to their communities will achieve real results for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
To make this happen, government and communities need to work together to:
- generate support for a referendum on constitutional recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- deliver more cultural projects and activities
- make sure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations are run well
- encourage more organisations to register under the Corporations (Aboriginal Torres Strait Islander) Act 2006.
Strengthening leadership and culture is critical to ensuring sustainability of Indigenous organisations and communities for future generations.
For specific advice about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history and culture, personal ancestry or proof of Aboriginality, contact the Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies.
A surge in popularity has pushed the National Indigenous Touch Football Knockout competition to new heights, attracting more than 500 players to Dubbo last month.
Primary School teacher, Rosemaree Whitehead shares and recommends her 3 favourite Indigenous based films with us, just in time for the school holidays.
Many different organisations and government agencies are working with communities to achieve real results in culture and capability. Visit the websites below to find out more:
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Healing Foundation
- Arts training bodies
- Attorney General’s Department
- Australia Council for the Arts
- Australian Indigenous Leadership Centre
- National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples
- Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations
- Reconciliation Australia
- Screen Australia
- The National Centre of Indigenous Excellence