Nominations for Indigenous legal awards extended
The 2012 Indigenous Legal Professional Award and Indigenous Law Student Prize Nominations have been extended, and will close on 5 September 2012.
The Attorney-General of Australia, the Hon Nicola Roxon MP, is pleased to announce the Indigenous Legal Professional of the Year Award and the Indigenous Law Student of the Year Prize.
Indigenous Legal Professional of the Year Nominations for the Indigenous Legal Professional of the Year are open to any Indigenous person who is currently admitted as a solicitor or barrister within Australia.
The Award recipient will receive $5,000 for further professional development. Nominees will be asked to demonstrate their claims against the following criteria:
- championing the rights of Indigenous persons in a legal environment, and/or
- exceptional commitment to providing legal representation, advice or assistance
- demonstrated commitment to, and pursuit of, professional development.
Nominations for the Indigenous Law Student of the Year are open to any Indigenous person enrolled in a Law Degree in Australia. The Prize recipient will receive $2,500 to further his/her studies. Nominees will be required to provide:
- an academic transcript
- a brief curriculum vitae
- a supporting written reference, and
- a statement of aspirations.