Congratulations 2018 National NAIDOC Award Winners
Congratulations to all the winners of the 2018 National NAIDOC Awards.
Award recipients were recognised for their outstanding achievements at the National NAIDOC Awards held in Sydney on July 13th. This colourful event is a highlight of NAIDOC Week celebrations.
‘My beginnings are very humble, coming from the Stolen Generation and in my mother’s time, the policy of the day was not to teach her to read and write, and I went to university in 1 generation. That’s a testament to the resilience of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the country today.’ Patricia Anderson AO, National NAIDOC 2018 Lifetime Achievement Award.
‘It means a lot to my community back home, they’re the ones that bet on me and supported me. It’s a win for them, I’d like to send it [this award] back to my mum. That’s my ritual.’ Adam Briggs, National NAIDOC 2018 Artist of the Year.
The 2018 National NAIDOC Award winners are:
- Caring for Country – Mungalla Aboriginal Business Corporation
- Youth of the Year – Tamina Pitt
- Artist of the Year – Adam Briggs
- Scholar of the Year - Professor Michelle Trudgett
- Apprentice of the Year – Folau Talbot
- Sportsperson of the Year – Jack Peris
- Male Elder of the Year - Russell Charles Taylor AM
- Female Elder of the Year – Lynette Nixon
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Patricia Anderson AO
- Person of the Year – June Oscar AO.