When the Binjari Community Aboriginal Corporation introduced a building and training program to the small Northern Territory community in 2015, the effect was profound. Two years later, the town once called ‘the worst address in Australia’ is blossoming.
You are here
Jobs, Land and Economy
Having a job helps people build the future they want for their families and their communities.
Getting adults into work and making sure everyone has the opportunity to own your own home, run your own business, and provide for yourself and your families will mean a strong future for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
To make this happen, government and communities need to work together to:
- Increase the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people working in real jobs
- Train more people for local jobs in their communities
- Help more people get jobs as Indigenous rangers
- Progress land and Native Title claims
- Negotiate more township leases.
The Government wants to work together with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, so you can build your future your way. Different communities will have different priorities and different ways they want to develop and sustain economic independence in their region.
A new free tourist map of Western Australia featuring Aboriginal owned and run tourist ventures has been produced by the Western Australian Indigenous Tourism Operators Council (WAITOC), the peak not for profit organisation representing Indigenous tourism in WA.
Qualifying for AccorHotel’s 2017 Hotel Management Traineeship program requires hard work and commitment. Wiradjuri woman Amyee McLaren has those qualities in abundance and is supported by EPI partners, AccorHotels Pacific.
Many different organisations and government agencies are working with communities to achieve real results in jobs, land and economy. Visit the websites below to find out more:
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Department of Human Services
- Department of Employment
- Department of the Environment
- Attorney General’s Department
- Supply Nation
- Generation One
- Indigenous Business Council of Australia
- Indigenous Business Australia
- Indigenous Land Corporation
- Australian Public Service Commission
- Indigenous Careers