enVizion, a Cairns-based training organisation, is using innovative methods like virtual reality to inspire and motivate Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in remote communities to access education and employment training.
You are here
Jobs, Land and Economy
Having a job helps people build the future they want for their families and their communities.
Getting adults into work and making sure everyone has the opportunity to own your own home, run your own business, and provide for yourself and your families will mean a strong future for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
To make this happen, government and communities need to work together to:
- Increase the number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people working in real jobs
- Train more people for local jobs in their communities
- Help more people get jobs as Indigenous rangers
- Progress land and Native Title claims
- Negotiate more township leases.
The Government wants to work together with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, so you can build your future your way. Different communities will have different priorities and different ways they want to develop and sustain economic independence in their region.
Using material sourced from the local landfill, the Northern Territory community of Manyallaluk came together to build a church so parishioners can worship in comfort.
When Kristy Stanton became AccorHotels’ first Indigenous General Manager, her appointment marked a milestone for the company’s Employment Parity Initiative, which reached over 500 employees nationally at the end of 2016.
Many different organisations and government agencies are working with communities to achieve real results in jobs, land and economy. Visit the websites below to find out more:
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Department of Human Services
- Department of Employment
- Department of the Environment
- Attorney General’s Department
- Supply Nation
- Generation One
- Indigenous Business Council of Australia
- Indigenous Business Australia
- Indigenous Land Corporation
- Australian Public Service Commission
- Indigenous Careers