Dolly Gurinyi Batcho (1905-1973), a Larrakia woman from the Darwin area, epitomises the sacrifice of an estimated 6000 Indigenous men and women who, during World War II, served the nation that so often discriminated against them.
You are here
Culture and Capability
Recognising Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, history and culture is about respect for all Australians.
Supporting culture and making sure Indigenous organisations are capable of delivering quality services to their communities will achieve real results for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
To make this happen, government and communities need to work together to:
- Generate support for a referendum on constitutional recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- Deliver more cultural projects and activities
- Make sure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations are run well
- Encourage more organisations to register under the Corporations (Aboriginal Torres Strait Islander Act) 2006.
Strengthening leadership and culture is critical to ensuring sustainability of Indigenous organisations and communities for future generations.
Joining the Queensland Police Force in 1965, Dr Colin Dillon displayed courage and determination in the face of entrenched racism, not only from other police, but also from his own people who declared him to be a “Sell-out” and “Traitor”. His determination saw him become a role model for other Indigenous people wanting to join the police force and a trail- blazer in breaking down racist barriers.
Increase your chances of having a well-funded and successful community activity by following these tips on how to apply.
Many different organisations and government agencies are working with communities to achieve real results in culture and capability. Visit the websites below to find out more:
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Attorney General’s Department
- Australia Council for the Arts
- Screen Australia
- Arts training bodies
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Healing Foundation
- Reconciliation Australia
- Australian Indigenous Leadership Centre
- The National Centre of Indigenous Excellence
- Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations
- National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples