Women from Wujal Wujal Women’s Group drove north to the Starcke Homestead for 3 days of yarning, fishing and lots of laughter. However, things didn’t go entirely to plan!
You are here
Culture and Capability
Recognising Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, history and culture is about respect for all Australians.
Supporting culture and making sure Indigenous organisations are capable of delivering quality services to their communities will achieve real results for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
To make this happen, government and communities need to work together to:
- Generate support for a referendum on constitutional recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- Deliver more cultural projects and activities
- Make sure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations are run well
- Encourage more organisations to register under the Corporations (Aboriginal Torres Strait Islander Act) 2006.
Strengthening leadership and culture is critical to ensuring sustainability of Indigenous organisations and communities for future generations.
Dharug artist Adam King uses metal in his sculpting to produce unique artwork showcasing his culture. He also sees the opportunity to create jobs for local Aboriginal people.
The winners of the Chief Executive Women Indigenous scholarship will travel to Singapore to participate in the Leading for Results program at INSEAD, a prestigious business school.
Many different organisations and government agencies are working with communities to achieve real results in culture and capability. Visit the websites below to find out more:
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Attorney General’s Department
- Australia Council for the Arts
- Screen Australia
- Arts training bodies
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Healing Foundation
- Reconciliation Australia
- Australian Indigenous Leadership Centre
- The National Centre of Indigenous Excellence
- Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations
- National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples