The remote desert community of Irrunytju (also known as Wingellina) recently hosted the nineteenth Remote Indigenous Media Festival. The Festival gave attendees the chance to Lutjurringkulala nintiringama ngapartji ngapartji, (come together to learn and share with fellow attendees).
You are here
Culture and Capability
Recognising Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, history and culture is about respect for all Australians.
Supporting culture and making sure Indigenous organisations are capable of delivering quality services to their communities will achieve real results for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
To make this happen, government and communities need to work together to:
- Generate support for a referendum on constitutional recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- Deliver more cultural projects and activities
- Make sure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations are run well
- Encourage more organisations to register under the Corporations (Aboriginal Torres Strait Islander Act) 2006.
Strengthening leadership and culture is critical to ensuring sustainability of Indigenous organisations and communities for future generations.
International human rights photographer Belinda Mason spent 3 years creating ‘Unfinished Business’, an exhibition examining the stories of 30 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with disability.
The remains of an Aboriginal man who lived at Lake Mungo in Western New South Wales 42,000 years ago have been returned to Country.
Many different organisations and government agencies are working with communities to achieve real results in culture and capability. Visit the websites below to find out more:
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Attorney General’s Department
- Australia Council for the Arts
- Screen Australia
- Arts training bodies
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Healing Foundation
- Reconciliation Australia
- Australian Indigenous Leadership Centre
- The National Centre of Indigenous Excellence
- Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations
- National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples