Directors of the Cullunghutti Aboriginal Child and Family Centre in Nowra in the Shoalhaven region of southeastern New South Wales have recently graduated with a Certificate IV in Business (Governance) so they can continue to run Cullunghutti into the future.
You are here
Culture and Capability
Recognising Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, history and culture is about respect for all Australians.
Supporting culture and making sure Indigenous organisations are capable of delivering quality services to their communities will achieve real results for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
To make this happen, government and communities need to work together to:
- Generate support for a referendum on constitutional recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- Deliver more cultural projects and activities
- Make sure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations are run well
- Encourage more organisations to register under the Corporations (Aboriginal Torres Strait Islander Act) 2006.
Strengthening leadership and culture is critical to ensuring sustainability of Indigenous organisations and communities for future generations.
Isaiah Dawe and Anthony Turner recently attended the 2017 National Indigenous Youth Parliament where they learned more about government, were inspired by their fellow participants, and debated Indigenous issues they are passionate about.
When Kimberley based Waringarri Aboriginal Arts saw the value of using digital technology in their business, they turned to two Jawun secondees to develop and implement a digital strategy that would expand the reach of their artists and increase economic opportunities for their arts workers.
Many different organisations and government agencies are working with communities to achieve real results in culture and capability. Visit the websites below to find out more:
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Attorney General’s Department
- Australia Council for the Arts
- Screen Australia
- Arts training bodies
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Healing Foundation
- Reconciliation Australia
- Australian Indigenous Leadership Centre
- The National Centre of Indigenous Excellence
- Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations
- National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples