2017 Senior Australian of the Year, Sister Anne Gardiner is a deserving winner of the award after serving Tiwi Islanders for 50 years and establishing the Patakijiyali Museum for the preservation of Tiwi history, language and culture.
You are here
Culture and Capability
Recognising Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, history and culture is about respect for all Australians.
Supporting culture and making sure Indigenous organisations are capable of delivering quality services to their communities will achieve real results for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
To make this happen, government and communities need to work together to:
- Generate support for a referendum on constitutional recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- Deliver more cultural projects and activities
- Make sure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisations are run well
- Encourage more organisations to register under the Corporations (Aboriginal Torres Strait Islander Act) 2006.
Strengthening leadership and culture is critical to ensuring sustainability of Indigenous organisations and communities for future generations.
For the last five years, 22-year-old Sean Bahr-Kelly has spent his time travelling the Barkly Region in the NT, capturing and sharing the stories of its residents.
Seven Aboriginal Certificate III Hospitality students from TAFE Western Wilcannia have returned from the Kambarang food festival in triumph, where they not only built their skills for future employment, but showcased their passion for food to some of the world’s best chefs.
Many different organisations and government agencies are working with communities to achieve real results in culture and capability. Visit the websites below to find out more:
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Attorney General’s Department
- Australia Council for the Arts
- Screen Australia
- Arts training bodies
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Healing Foundation
- Reconciliation Australia
- Australian Indigenous Leadership Centre
- The National Centre of Indigenous Excellence
- Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations
- National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples